Sonesta Island / Renaissance Island
A Beach Lover's Paradise
Sonesta Island (er, now I think they call it Renaissance Island) is a beach lover's paradise with uncrowded and private beaches. There are beautiful crystal clear waters surrounded by mangroves and tropical birds and wildlife that call Sonesta Island home.
There is a water-shuttle to Sonesta Island (a 15-minute ride) in the lobby of the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino. There are two main protected beaches oriented for plenty of sunshine and calmer breezes. Heading off the water taxi to the right you'll see pink flamingos as you enter the "European" style beach where clothing is optional. The path to the left brings you to the family beach, complete with a Red Sail Sports shop, the Sea Breeze Restaurant, tennis courts and health club.
- A 40-acre private tropical retreat with spectacular white sand beaches
- Secluded coves and protected swimming areas
- Hammocks under shady palm trees
- Extensive array of watersports by Red Sail Sports, including snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, waverunners and floatbeds
- Complimentary water taxis depart approximately every 15 minutes from the resort
- Personal beach-side service
- Tennis court for daytime tennis action
- Casual dining and bar featuring the latest in frozen cocktails
- Fitness center with exercise area overlooking the ocean
- The Cove - an intimate area for honeymooners and small group functions
For first time snorkelers, the man-made breakwater provides ample opportunity to see lots of different kinds of fish and coral. If you want to take underwater pictures, we suggest you get one (or more) disposable underwater cameras at home and bring them with you - $10 at our Target, $25 in Aruba. Also, make sure that the sun is shining brightly when you take the pictures.
Drinks are reasonably priced (and potent), but the food is quite expensive.